Sunday, March 7, 2010

We Survived and 3 Month Update

Well, we survived the first few days of daycare. 

Wednesday marked my return to work and Charlie's first day of daycare.  I had been crying off and on for the last week, but somehow managed to save some tears for the remainder of the week.  I was doing pretty well on the first day until one of the teachers asked me a question and then I couldn't answer her.  More tears ensued and finally BJ said "we just need to go."  I then stood at my car and cried, looking longingly at the front door of the daycare.  At that point BJ said "you need to get in your car and go to work, but you have got to stop crying first, otherwise you will get into an accident."  It wasn't a pretty cry either.  It was the kind of cry that results in snot coming out of your nose and sliding down the back of your throat.  The kind of cry that results in a headache for the remainder of the day.  More tears were produced at work and sometime around mid-morning, my co-workers realized that they should stop asking me how Charlie was doing.  One co-worker was even sensitive enough to tell me that their daughter sat in the corner at their daycare and sobbed everyday for hours.  Gee, just the mental image I wanted.  Needless to say, I call numerous times throughout the day to check on him and so far he seems to be adjusting just fine.  Thankfully, there were less tears on Thursday and even less on Friday.  At this rate, I hope to be completely tear-free in time for his first day of kindergarten. 

The biggest bummer about daycare is that he came home with the sniffles on Friday night, which developed into a full blown cold on Saturday.  When I dropped Charlie off on Friday, a little girl (who shall only be referred to as Sick Girl for my purporses) came strolling over to his car seat, nose running and all.  I leaned down with the biggest smile on my face and said, "Good morning Sick Girl, why don't you go see what James is doing?"...politely redirecting her and her cold germs elsewhere.  Sadly, it appears that my attempt at avoiding the germs was short-lived.  So far Charlie has been fever-free, but it looks like I might be keeping him at home with me tomorrow. 

Wednesday was a big day for another reason - Charlie turned three months old.  We snapped his picture after daycare, so he looks pretty exhausted.  I thought that the "Ruff Day" outfit for his first day at daycare was fitting, particularly for me.



Charlie weighed 13lbs, 14 oz. at his appointment this week, so he continues his "heavy baby" status.  Despite seeing any photo evidence, he is giving huge smiles, babbling when we sing or talk to him, and may have even let out a giggle yesterday.  I was pretty tired, so I'm not sure if he actually giggled when I was talking to him, or if it was my inner dialogue.  I'm going with a giggle from Charlie.

No comments:

Post a Comment