Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tuckered Out

We went back to Cascade this past weekend for a mini-family reunion/picnic. 

On Saturday night, I ran into the grocery store to pick up a few things to make a taco dip.  I knew that Charlie was minutes away from a meltdown, so I was moving as fast as I could.  In my haste, I tied a string from the neckline of my shirt to the plastic bag that held my red onion.  I couldn't do this again if I tried.  I stood there in the fruit/veggie aisle for what felt like 10 minutes trying to untie the darn thing.  No luck.  I could have walked around with the cellophane bag (red onion and all) dangling from my neck, but came to my senses quickly enough to put the bag in one of the grocery store's basket and walk slightly hunched over the basket.  When I came to the check-out aisle, I tried to say "please just scan the onion and hand it back to me because it is tied to my shirt" without laughing, but no luck.  The check-out guy looked embarassed for me and insisted on finding a scissor and "freeing" me of the onion.  In his haste, he cut the cellophane bag in half so when I went back to our car, BJ saw the remnants of the cellophane bag and I was laughing so hard that it took a few minutes for me to retell the story.  Red onion = 1, me = 0. 

It was great to be able to see some of my cousins that I don't see very often and it was crazy for me to watch all of the "great grandkids" run around when I remember so clearly all of us playing at Grandma Green's house.  Charlie enjoyed observing, but I think that he'll really get a kick out of it next year when he is able to run around as well.

On the way home, Charlie slept for almost the entire way.  Watching other kids run around outside takes a lot out of a little guy. 



I began to smell something suspicious and then I realized that the air conditioning was pushing Copper's doggy breath from the front seat directly into my sense of smell. 


It would seem that the simple solution is for Copper to ride in the back, but his car seat (yes, his car seat) only fits in the front seat.  You can imagine the looks that we receive from people that we pass when they see Copper riding shotgun and Charlie and I in the back.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, 1. the onion story.....ha!
    And 2. a carseat for Copper.....really?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been really long, long day for me (driving back from CO) after a long, sleepless night (you can read about it later), so thank you so much for the great laughs, Carey! I knew your blog would be just the pick-me-up I needed! :-)

    ReplyDelete