Sunday, April 18, 2010

Come See the Amazing Charlie...

who sleeps less than any other baby known to man.  Apparently Charlie read my previous post about his end to protesting sleep and decided to revert back to his old ways.  He's only taking 2 "cat" naps (anywhere between 25-40 minutes) at daycare per day and although he may fall asleep between 8:30-9:00 at night, he usually wakes up around 11:30, 1:30 and again for the day at 3:30.  He doesn't really need anything at those times, but seeing as how we are living in a small apartment, we are awake whenever he is awake.  So, we start the routine of rocking with him and walking around with him in the hopes of him falling back asleep, which usually happens around 5:00.  It dawned on me last night that I should clip a pedometer on my shorts and look at these middle of the night rituals as a good way to sneak in some exercise. 

If you happen to have one of those freak babies that started sleeping through the night at 6 or 8 weeks, please do not tell me.  If you think that Charlie is not sleeping through the night because of some horrible mistake I made months ago, please do not tell me.  If you know of a safe and legal drug that I can give him so that we can sleep at night, you know my number.   

Thankfully, Charlie's moments of cuteness and sweetness far outweigh our lack of sleep, but we'd be happy to take the cuteness, sweetness and more sleep whenever his chubby little cheeks desire.  On a positive note, I feel like I still get to see him quite a bit at night/early morning...something that I feared I would miss out on when he went to daycare.  Little did I know...

Charlie's daycare uses the Bumbo seats so we decided to get one the other week.  It always makes me smile to walk in the door and see 2 or 3 babies sitting in the chair.  It always catches me off guard at how old he seems when he's in the chair and I half expect him to say "hey mom, how was your day"? 


Charlie continues to love his bath and is still obsessed with sucking on his fingers.  I think he's going to love to swim as he gets older.

Other than the late night "bonding sessions" with Charlie, we had a really nice weekend.  We checked out various neighborhoods and suburbs on Friday night, saw my parents for a few hours yesterday, met up with friends last night and took Copper for a long walk at an area park today.  We hope that you all had a great weekend. 

4 comments:

  1. Call me a bad mom, but it sounds to me like Charlie needs a night of tough love! Lauren was sleeping through at 7 weeks and we were spoiled rotten w/ her. Reese on the other hand was up most of the night yet at 4 1/2 months. It was ok when I was on leave, but I couldn't do it once I went back to work. So we decided a night of tough love needed to occur. It took her 2 nights and she's been sleeping through ever since. If you can stomach the crying for an hour or so, it's well worth it. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure there are lots of moms out there that'll think I'm insane and a terrible mother, but that's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that I agree with Jen. Crying it out is sooooo hard to listen to, but sooooo worth it in the end. Avery slept through from the very beginning...Livi a little bit later, and then there was Connor..13 months before he slept through. I attributed it to his still exclusively nursing, so I felt like I should try and feed him just in case he was hungry...thankfully it was never for more than a nursing session and he was back to bed. Avery's very first pediatrician wrote a book, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby....all about sleep training and crying it out. It's so hard while you are doing it, but well worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok...I tried to post this and something happened and it disappeared.

    Anyway, 2nd try...I agree with Jen. Crying it out is soooo hard to listen to, but soooo worth it in the end,

    Avery slept through from the beginning, Alivia was a bit later, and then there was Connor..13 months. I attributed that to his exclusively nursing still, so I thought I should try and feed him in case he was hungry. Thankfully, it was only for as a long as a nursing session lasted and he was back to sleep. David told me numerous times to "cut the cord" and let him cry. It was much harder with him than the girls...

    Avery's very 1st pediatrician wrote a book called, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child...all about sleep training and crying it out...I'd be happy to lend it to you if you are interested.

    Good luck with this...thankfully it doesn't last forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and for some reason..now both comments are showing:-) weird computer.

    ReplyDelete