Monday, September 20, 2010

He has what?!

"Hand, foot and mouth disease, " Dr. Boonstra said, much to my horror.  He quickly produced a handout that states very clearly "It has no relationship to hoof and mouth disease of cattle."  So why can't we call it something like "cute chubby baby little red spot and fever disease"? 

We shouldn't be surprised, there have been "hand, foot and mouth disease" sheets up all over the day care center for the last few monthds to indicate that a mini-epidemic was occurring.  The warnings only received a passing glance from me, I was so smug - not my little Charlie Boy.  Well guess what, I see you now hand, foot and mouth disease and while I don't like you, I respect your viral ways.


Needless to say, I kept Charlie at home with me today.  The spots aren't too bad, but he did battle a fever yesterday and throughout the morning.  We spent most of the day feeling sorry for ourselves, but it did give me a good excuse to break out the bright, fuzzy pink robe that was such an integral part of my pregnancy and maternity leave.  Charlie smiled when I pulled it out of the closet as if he was seeing a long last friend.  I tried to think of the hours that I wore (Charlie laid against) that thing and the math overcame me, but let's just say that it was a lot. 

I went to put a sweatshirt on the other day and a horrified look came across BJ's face.  I asked what the problem was and he looked relieved when he said "oh, I thought you were putting on that robe."  Clearly he does not understand what that robe means to Charlie and me.  Don't worry honey, it will go back in the closet around Easter. 

Pre-hand/foot/mouth diagnosis, we had some fun visitors over the weekend.  My brother Randy, sister-in-law Carrie and 3 nieces (Anna, Julia and Lauren) came to spend some time with us.  The girls were as good as can be and occupied their time by playing with Charlie, building blanket forts and coloring. 





Charlie loved having some playmates and the girls did their best job to keep him from crawling away as I tried to snap a group picture. 



In their defense, four-year-old Julia doesn't weigh much more than Charlie so she was doing the best that she could.  We're so glad that you came to visit and my only regret is that we may have sent you home with the hand/foot/mouth disease.  Maybe next time we can send you home with something that sounds less icky like a cold or the chicken pox. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, sorry to hear about the hand, foot, and mouth disease. Drew had that this summer and Zach had it last summer, and it's not bad for long. They both had super high fevers (104+), and that was the worst of it. Drew got red sores on his hands, butt, knees, and feet, and Zach had them in his throat, but otherwise the virus is pretty harmless. Hang in there, Charlie Boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I can totally picture you saying, "He has WHAT?" to the doctor!!! I couldn't agree w/ you more tho, we need to change the name!

    Hope Charlie feels better soon!

    BTW, I personally love that you brought out the old pink robe again. Nothing says "Welcome home honey....!" better than a non-showered, no make up wife covered in pink fleece!

    ReplyDelete