Saturday, August 11, 2012

Family of 4

Well, this is our last official weekend as a family of four.  

 Sweet Pea's arrival date is quickly approaching and I need (for my own mental health and "nesting" reasons) to do a quick recap before I move into full Sweet Pea documentation mode.

Copper officially began his summer by "greetings" the ducks that choose to habitat our pond.  Much to his chagrin, he was never able to capture any ducks and would instead show his absolute hatred for them by rolling in dried duck poop.  Anyway interested in an aging, semi-psychotic dog?  Free to a good home is what I proclaim to all of the neighbors who have "lovingly" nicknamed him Kujo.

 Copper's freedom to terrorize the ducks came to an abrupt end in late June when we completed our backyard landscaping project.  A 45 degree backyard slant to a pond, next to a busy street and coupled with a very "spirited" little boy led to the decision to level the backyard and install a fence.

The nights when we came home and the "worker guys" were in our backyard with their machinery and equipment might have been the best nights of Charlie's life.  He ate dinner on the deck those nights and was absolutely mesmerized.  By the end, the "worker guys" were frequently waving at him and telling him hello so Charlie thought that life was pretty good.
 Enjoying the fenced in yard and swingset (new to us - thanks Aunt Molly and Uncle Mike) with BJ during one of the hottest weeks this summer.
 This picture pretty much sums up Copper's thoughts on the fenced-in yard...he actually snarled at me when I took his picture.  He's completely embarrassed by the fact that a little 4-foot high fence can keep him from chasing after the ducks and other neighborhood dogs.  I tried to assure him that the fence does not diminish the street cred that he's developed over the last two years but he's not buying it.
 We also enjoyed the Fourth of July festivities in Norwalk.  I would have taken more pictures of all of the fun that was had that day but I was more concerned by melting and/or overheating Sweet Pea so I didn't do much other than sit in a lawn chair and drink water.  We started the day with the parade and spent the rest of the day enjoying cookouts and some pool time with our neighbors.  I did manage to capture Charlie's reaction when he was handed some propaganda from a local, socially-conservative group.  He appropriately handed it over to me right away and I assured him that it was "yucky and we should throw it away."
 A few weeks later, one of my co-workers threw a "sprinkle" (apparently the new thing for 2nd, 3rd, etc. born children) for myself and another expecting co-worker.  It was a lot of fun and we are set for diapers for some time!
 Charlie helped me celebrate my 32nd birthday by helping bake a cake with Nana Jan.  He was pretty proud of himself when I asked him to pose by the cake.
 And even more in awe when it was time to light the candles.  I feel the need to point out that the free t-shirt that I received from the America Society to Prevent Cruelty to Animals (which features a terrier-like dog holding an American flag) served me well during both pregnancies.  It is one of the few t-shirts that still fits and I wear it regularly.  A few weeks ago we were getting ready to go on our post-dinner walk when BJ asked if I was really going to wear it outside.  Wear it outside?!  Heck yeah, why should we be the only ones to enjoy a caricature of a patriotic dog? I think that Lee Greenwood would applaud my patriotic efforts.

 The extreme temperatures have rendered me completely worthless most nights so Charlie and I have enjoyed some snuggle time in the recliner. 
 Finally, last month's "Sweet Pea" photo.  I need to snap another photo this week and compare it to my last pregnant photo with Charlie.  My guess is that I look big in both photos.
I can't believe how fast the last 9 months have gone, but we are excited (and dare I say ready?) to add another person to the mix!

1 comment:

  1. Carey, you look great!!!! (I think girl this time:-) I've been thinking about you a lot as you approach your due date. Can't wait to hear about the big news. I bet Copper is going to be "thrilled" with a new person in the house:-)

    ReplyDelete