Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Thanksgiving and Turning Three!

We went back to Cascade to celebrate Thanksgiving and, as usual, the kids loved seeing their grandparents and having fun with cousins.  The actual photo-taking on Thanksgiving was less than stellar (no big shock), but I did capture a cute photo of Grandma Kathy and Lucy.

 I had been calling Lucy my little turkey all day, so she was a little scared when she heard that we were eating turkey!
 Charlie loved spending some time with his cousin Milo and, after numerous reminders, was pretty gentle with him.
 Since Charlie's birthday is so close to Thanksgiving, we decided to have a little party while we were still in Cascade with the grandparents and godparents on Friday after Thanksgiving. 

The boy loves him some cookie so a cookie cake it was!  Unfortunately, The Great American Cookie Co. hasn't purchased the right to use any "Toy Story" images or references, but everything else was "Buzz and Woody."
 A quick family photo before the party began - our kids don't look very alike to me!
Charlie was pretty happy with himself once he blew the candles out. 
 Charlie, Claire and Hannah waiting to take a whack at the pinata.  The purchase of the pinata was completely for mine and BJ's entertainment.  I love a good pinata.
 Uncle Mike prepping the birthday boy before his first turn.
 Meanwhile, Lucy had some sweet cuddle time with Nana Jan.
 Charlie's actual birthday was on Monday, the 3rd.  The poor kid spent the weekend with the stomach flu and then came down with a fever/cough/cold on Monday.  He went to school for a few hours and passed out treats to his friends, but when I picked him up early to go get ice cream (a request that I easily agreed to on Monday morning...I'm a pushover for a birthday boy), he just wanted to go home.  What?!  No ice cream?!  I knew that he was feeling pretty miserable and we've spent most of this week at home with him.

The rest of the night didn't improve much.  Charlie wasn't interested in his supper, M&M's or the cupcakes that I made for his birthday.  We did manage to snap a few pictures of Charlie with his cupcakes and after he opened his present, but they are pretty pathetic.

Exhibit A: glazed eyes and runny nose
 Exhibit B: a forced smile that was quickly followed by a sneeze
 Exhibit C: a picture with his present (Buzz, of course) but he looks like he's being held against his will
I am shocked every year on his birthday that another year has past.  I'm not sure if it's the age that he is now or the fact that Lucy has joined our family, but his baby days are long gone.  He is a little boy, through and through.  We've certainly had our moments, but he is an unending source of humor and for us.  A couple of his loves: seeing us at the end of the day at daycare; listening to Band of Horses with BJ or I before falling asleep; eating snacks; seeing tractors or combines on the way to daycare; watching Little Einsteins; playing with his many tractors or cars; playing outside; throwing/kicking/trying to catch any ball or anything resembling a ball; greeting Lucy when she wakes up; spending time with his grandparents and cousins; singing Eric Church's "Springsteen"; playing with his train set; running; using his mouthwash; self-reporting his bad behavior from daycare; claiming any reward for good behavior; going to music class; riding his bike; and running to our bed in the middle of night because his bed is "scary" or "stinky" (like I said - source of humor for us).

The final photo is completely unrelated to Charlie's birthday but I felt the need to document Lucy's crazy hair.  If she is as independent and spirited as her hair, the teenage years may be interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment