Tuesday, July 27, 2010

thirtysomething

Does anyone else remember the show "thirtysomething"?  I think it was on when I was in 2nd and 3rd grade and all I remember is that the title was in all lowercase letters and that one of the male characters died in an unfortunate car/bicycle accident.  Clearly the show didn't have a long lasting impression on me, but the point is that the people on the show seemed old.  Really old. 

I am now one of those people.  I turned 30 on Saturday and while I don't put too much stock in age, I'm a little aghast at how quickly 30 snuck up on me.  I told someone last year that I was 24 and I wasn' t even trying to pull a fast one - for a split second, I honestly thought that I was 24.  I just assumed that every 30 year old knew how to drive a stick shift car, sew on a button, change a flat tire and bake an entire chicken.  I don't know how to do any of those things which proves that high school home economics and driver's ed classes failed me.  Oh well, I guess it gives me some goals for my next 30 years. 

Saturday started like any typical day.  Charlie was in one of his hugging moods and BJ happened to snap a couple of pictures.  Please note that in the first picture, Copper is fake hacking...something that he tends to do when he isn't getting enough attention.  I swear, the dog could be in therapy for a lifetime.




My parents came down for the day to help us finish some unpacking and then watched Charlie while BJ and I went to a movie and ran some errands.  When we returned home, I was surprised to find a basement full of family and some friends to help me celebrate the big 3-0.  My immediate reaction was "oh my gosh - Catherine (my friend from KC), what are you doing here?" and my next immediate thought was "oh my gosh - do I even have hand soap in the guest bathroom yet?"  If the fact that I immediately worried that my guest bathroom wasn't ready for guests before noticing the tub full of celebratory beverages isn't proof that I'm old, I don't know what is.  It was a great night and I really appreciate everyone who made the trip to Norwalk to help me celebrate and BJ for planning the shindig.  Not that further research was necessary, but I confirmed that it is not wise to party until 2AM when you have a 7 month old who wakes at 6AM.  Let's just say that naps were had by all on Sunday.

On a random note, I was trying to snap a g-rated picture of Charlie lounging in his new duckie backtub but I fear that he has an exhibitionist side.  Every time that I was ready to snap the picture he would throw the washcloth off of his private parts and laugh.  I finally gave up and snapped this picture of he and BJ playing tug-of-war with the washcloth.


Hope that you all had a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I love that last picture of Charlie- so cute! I'm glad you had a good time Saturday night. We had a blast, too. It was fun to celebrate you finally joining the 30+ club! Hope Sunday wasn't too rough! Thanks for having us all over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry we had to miss your party..would have loved to been there. Hopefully we can see you guys soon.

    ReplyDelete