When it becomes obvious that Charlie Boy is tired, we hold him until his really drowsy and then put him in his crib to fall asleep. Just like the books tell us to do. The books indicate that "some babies may cry a little before falling into a deep, restful sleep." Apparently I've purchased nothing but fiction books regarding baby how-tos. BJ and I debated what "a little" crying may be, but we're fairly certain that Charlie's screams of bloody murder fall outside of the realm of "a little".
I have to hand it to him - Charlie's performances truly tug at the heart strings. As soon as we pick him up, he cozies in and falls asleep within one minute. I then rock with him for a minimum of ten minutes before trying to lay him down again. As soon as I begin the process of laying him in his crib, his little eyes pop open as if to say "I dare you - just try to put me down." At one point yesterday I eyed the crib wondering if I could physically climb in with Charlie for a few minutes to trick him into thinking that I was still holding him. Don't get me wrong - I love holding him as he is snuggled in with his little kissable cheek next to mine, but I fear that his little world may be put upside down when he starts day care in a few weeks. Unless I can slip the day care workers an extra $20 every morning so that they agree to hold him the entire time that he naps. Now that is a solution that makes sense.
Below is a picture of Charlie in his duckie robe after his bath the other night. He didn't think that he looked nearly as cute as we did. Given the fact that my hot pink fuzzy robe has made its appearance practically every day since my maternity leave began, I figured it was time for Charlie to try his on for size. Unfortunatley for him, the pockets of his robe were not filled with Hershey Kisses or bubble gum like my pockets always are.
This is one of the hardest things, guys. I remember those days of just praying the boys would fall/stay asleep as I laid them in the crib, with lots of failed attempts. It will get better, but it may take time. Love the ducky robe!
ReplyDeleteWe have ended up doing a mixture of co-sleeping and the bassinet right beside my bed for that very reason. Its tough getting them to sleep in their crib by themselves! Good luck!
ReplyDelete