Saturday, December 4, 2010

One (sigh)

Despite my best efforts, I was unable to find a way for Charlie to stay a baby forever.  Charlie Boy turned one on Friday and while I am so excited for him to learn new things and become more independent, the thought makes me a little teary.  It sounds so cliche, but the last year has flown by so fast and yet, I can't remember life without him. 

I decided to try to write Charlie a letter each year on his birthday in an attempt to summarize my thoughts regarding the past year.  This could be very sentimental or it could be used as evidence against me when he tries to have me committed in the future.  "Your Honor, my mother clearly lost all competency around my first birthday, as evidenced by this rambling letter." 

While thinking about the last 12 months, I've realized that the "hard work" is just beginning.  I don't know how to teach confidence but instill humility; to establish expectations but not assert too much pressure; to motivate but not be overbearing; to teach him to forgive without being taken advantage of; to teach him to have faith but not be gullible, etc , etc.  I guess we'll figure it out day by day. 


At this point during the picture-taking process, Copper ran around like a rabid dog...running into all rooms of our house while making the occasional pit-stop in Charlie's room.  It was as if he were on fire AND being chased by an invisible ghost.  The whole event was way too entertaining to Charlie to focus on our camera.  I think that we need to donate Copper's body to science when he leaves this world because there is more wrong with that dog than there is right. 

 Any guesses as to Charlie's present from us?  I'll give you a hint, if parental influence can begin at this age, one of us hopes to have a basketball player...
Charlie was more excited when the basketball hoop started to light up and sing than when he made a basket.  Don't worry BJ - you can start two-a-day practices sometime soon.

Mike, Molly, Emma, Claire and Hannah arrived Friday night and let Charlie open his present before he went to bed.  He was pretty excited to start his party early with these crazy girls.  And yes, I'm wearing $7 slippers from Target that are blue and white striped and say "Let It Snow" on the soles.  BJ thinks that they are the ugliest things that he has ever seen (a small victory for the pink fuzzy robe), but I told him that I'm sure that they are all the rage at nursing homes across the country.

Charlie took a great nap before his party, but was a little stunned to wake up to a houseful of people.  The icky weather and the flu kept some people away, but we had a great time with those that were able to make it.   

Grandma Kathy and Grandpa Bill!

Uncle Marty!

Aunt Molly!  Although in all fairness to Molly, I did a terrible job of zooming in on this picture.  Lunch was almost ready and the smell of food temporarily blocked my ability to function.

Some crazy cousins...trying to focus on the 3 cameras that were trying to get their attention at the same time.




Charlie, you're 1.  We had a great day with you on your actual birthday and you had a great time at your party and received many fun toys.  I don't know where the last year went, but I know that for the last year, you have been the best part of everyday.

2 comments:

  1. It looks like Charlie had a wonderful birthday, and this was a great post to read. Charlie's lucky to have such awesome parents!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think at Charlie's graduation party, you should read each and everyone of those letters! I can see it now:

    Age 1: So in love. Best thing that ever happened to your father and I.
    Age 4: You are growing into such a hansome little man. Oh how you've blessed our lives.
    Age 10: I can't believe 10 years has slipped by this fast.
    Age 14: Oh, the teenage years. Hard to believe you use to be such an innocent little boy!
    Age 18: Your grandma warned me about these years. If only college would start at the age of 16!!!

    Haha!!! Happy birthday Charlie! Hope to see you all soon!

    ReplyDelete